(Half) Whole Wheat Pizza Dough & Pizza Sauce Recipes
I have been trying my best to eat healthier but sometimes you just need some yummy pizza! I have played around with quite a few recipes trying to come up with a pizza dough that I love and is decently healthy compared to other crusts. I love this recipe, it's simple, healthier than a standard white-flour-only crust, and doesn't take up too much of your day. Hope you enjoy!!!
(Half) Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 Tbsp. honey
1 1/4 C. warm water
1 1/2 C. whole wheat flour (King Arthur is my favorite brand)
1 1/2 C. all-purpose flour (King Arthur)
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1. Pour water in large mixing bowl, add honey & sprinkle yeast on top. Let sit 10 minutes until frothy.
2. Add flours, salt and olive oil. Mix with a spoon until dough forms.
3. Knead on floured surface 5-10 minutes until dough is smooth & springs back to the touch.
4. Rub dough with a bit of oil, place in bowl, cover & let rise in warm place until doubled - about 1 hour.
5. Divide dough into 3 pieces and shape as desired. Add sauce, cheese & toppings and place on parchment paper.
*If you do not have a pizza stone you can use an upside-down cookie sheet, just be sure to let it heat up in the oven while it preheats.*
6. Cook pizza at 475 F for 10-15 minutes until crust is browning and toppings are cooked. Serve!
p.s. My most favorite pizza to make with this crust is a simple Margherita Pizza. All you do is brush the dough with olive oil, sprinkle with pepper, top with sliced tomato, fresh basil leaves & mozzarella cheese. Incredibly simple and delicious!
Mom's Pizza Sauce
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. pepper
Dash of salt
1 Tbsp. dried basil
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder
1. Combine all in small mixing bowl. Refrigerate until you need to use it - can last in an airtight container in the refrigerator 3-5 days.
|Garlic-Butter Cheesy Bread - so yummy! Simply flatten your dough, brush with 1 Tbsp. melted butter, sprinkle with garlic powder, or minced garlic, pepper and your dried herb of choice (I love parsley or basil), top with cheese & bake!|