DIY Ugi Ball & Sandbag

Here is my very own Ugi Ball!  It wasn't too difficult or expensive to make.  Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 1/2 yds. vinyl
  • 16" zipper
  • thread to match fabric
  • needle or sewing machine (which makes it sooo much easier)
  • 2 bags of polyester fiberfill
  • old t-shirts
  • bags of rice
  • duct tape
I always have coupons for JoAnn Fabrics which I used when purchasing my items so I saved a few bucks.  The fiberfill I bought at WalMart (in the craft section).  You will have a little extra fabric left over which is always good to have on hand in case you make a mistake - I almost always do!

First you will need to cut out 6 eyelet-shaped pieces:
I made mine 26" long & 9" wide and drew the pattern out over a few pieces of printer paper taped together.  I'm sure you could find a printable pattern somewhere online.  After you cut your pieces you will sew them right-sides-together (you will be sewing your bag inside out).  I'd recommend sewing in your zipper first.  Be sure to reinforce all of your stitching 1-2 times to ensure that the bag stays together.  It does get slightly difficult towards the end of stitching your bag but you can definitely do it!  Once your bag is sewn together flip it right-side out and get ready to fill it!

Next, I bought 3 5lb. bags of white rice & duct taped them together then wrapped a few old shirts around them.  I emptied one full bag of the fiberfill and stuffed it inside my bag, laid the rice on top then stuffed the remaining fiberfill inside.  You will probably need to adjust the filling a little to make sure your bag is balanced.  Zip up your bag & you're ready to go!


 There is an ugi ball pattern on the Bodyrock webiste:
http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/09/20/home-made-ugi-ball/




I found a pattern for a DIY sandbag here:
http://slimmingdownforthedress.blogspot.com/2012/03/sand-bag-checked.html

I'll be making my own sandbag in the near future and will definitely share the results!

Comments

Popular Posts