3 Bean Vegetarian Chili

I've been thinking about the "Eat." portion of my blog title for quite a while and now that the weather is getting nice & cold I've decided to kick things off with a yummy chili recipe!  I've made a few different vegetarian chili recipes but this is my base recipe.  And, please forgive me for not having any peppers!  I could not believe I was out of peppers!  My favorite to add to chili would have to be a Serrano pepper, seeded & diced.  Here's what you will need:




Ingredients:
Large can of diced tomatoes
3 different beans, drained & rinsed
Onion, about 1/2 finely diced
Garlic, 2-4 cloves
1/2-1 C. frozen sweet corn
*Serrano pepper, seeded & diced
Tomato sauce
Vegetable broth (start with about 1 C.)
Salt
Pepper
Chili powder
Paprika

*Again, I was out of these so you won't see any peppers in the pictures.

1. Combine all ingredients in a crock pot & cook on low heat 6 hours or on high heat for 4 hours.  Taste every so often & adjust seasoning to your liking.  Serve!

Ideas for toppings/accompaniments:
-Corn bread
-Brown rice
-Quinoa
-Avocado
-Sour cream
-Hot sauce
-Shredded cheese

Add-in ideas:
-1 sweet potato, peeled & cubed
-1 butternut squash, peeled & cubed
(I prefer the squash, it seems to not get as mushy as the sweet potato)
-Herbs: oregano, thyme, sage (a pinch of sage gives a nice, earthy flavor)

p.s. I'm so sorry that I didn't include a finished-project photo, this was gobbled up pretty fast!  And, seeing as it is chili season I will definitely be sharing my meaty chili recipe soon! :)




Comments

Popular Posts