Non-Sticky Garlic Rice


I absolutely love rice, and pasta, and bread and carbs of every variety - not all that healthy but so, so yummy.  I grew up having your basic rice cooked in water or broth and didn't know any different until I met my sweetheart.  He served a mission for the LDS church for 2 years in Brazil and fell in love with the food while there.  I must admit that I have also fallen in love with Brazilian food and Brazilian people - every single Brazilian I have met has been incredibly kind and they have a way of treating people that makes you feel like you are literally part of their family.  I cannot say enough good things about the people or about their food, it is wonderfully delicious!

Now, about this rice...it is scrumptious!  It is also very simple to make which is always a plus.  My husband explained to me that, from what he was able to observe while living in Brazil, they would brown their rice in olive oil with some salt and smashed garlic then cook it as usual with water or broth.  The result is flavorful rice that doesn't stick together.  My hubby recalled eating dinner at a family's home one evening and the wife was so embarrassed and apologetic because the rice was sticking together a bit!  No sticky rice allowed!  It made me laugh but now that I've been able to successfully make this simple side dish I totally get it - no more sticky rice in this house!


Garlic Rice
1 C. long-grain white rice
2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt
2 cloves garlic, smashed or finely minced
2 C. broth (I use low-sodium Swanson chicken broth)

1. Heat the oil and rice in a pot over medium heat.  Season with salt (keep in mind the sodium content in your broth) and add the garlic.  
2. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is browning (see pictures below).
3. Turn heat to high and add broth.  Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and let cook 20 minutes or until done. 
4. Fluff a bit with a serving spoon & enjoy!


Step 1
Step 2 - Let your rice brown!
Fluff it up and serve! :)

Comments

Popular Posts