Roasted Thanksgiving Turkey


It's that time of year again!  I love the holiday season, I love the snow, the food and most of all, I love being with my family.  We typically spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with my sweethearts' family since they live close and I have only prepared a Thanksgiving turkey a handful of times.  This is my favorite recipe, the end result is a beautiful, moist, tender and crispy-skinned turkey; I just love it!

Roasted Thanksgiving Turkey
8-10 lb. turkey
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 garlic bulb, cloves separated (you don't have to peel them)
1 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. dried thyme
1-2 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried sage
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 stick butter, cut in half & melted (can use olive oil instead)

-Preheat oven to 325 F.
1. Place the turkey in a roasting pan breast-side up.  Combine onion, garlic, herbs, salt & pepper and stuff into the cavity of the turkey.  Drizzle turkey with melted butter (or olive oil) and season with salt and pepper.
2. Tent with foil and bake for 2 - 2 1/2 hours.  Remove foil and baste with remaining melted butter or oil.
3. Adjust heat to 400 F and bake, uncovered, for an additional 60 minutes.  Remove from oven and let sit for at least 15-20 minutes before carving and serving.

*For even more flavor finely dice the onion and mince the garlic, combine with the herbs and rub beneath the skin of the turkey.*


Look at how pretty it turned out!  And please pardon the lack of a roasting pan, I have yet to acquire one.

Enjoy and have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Check out my other Thanksgiving recipes!


Comments

Popular Posts