Candied Yams



Some of you may have noticed that these are not yams, I wasn't overly happy with the selection at the grocery store so I went with sweet potatoes instead and I think I actually prefer them.  This is very traditional in the south for Thanksgiving and it is definitely one of my very favorite side dishes this time of year!  I hope you love it too!

Candied Yams
3-4 yams, or sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 C. butter
3/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 cinnamon sticks
1 bag mini marshmallows

-Preheat oven to 400 F & grease a baking dish.
1. Combine butter, brown sugar, water, salt, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon sticks in a small pot and melt over medium heat.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.  Discard cinnamon sticks.
2. Toss yams (sweet potatoes) with sauce and pour into baking dish.  Bake for 40 minutes, stirring after 20, until tender.
3. Top with mini marshmallows and broil until marshmallows are golden.  Remove and let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!

Check out my other Thanksgiving recipes!



Comments

Popular Posts