Simple Rice Pudding


I was never a fan of rice pudding when I was growing up; my mother would make it every now and then and it just never appealed to me.  Now that I'm all grown up I am in love with this simple dessert!  This is a perfect "comfort food" dessert and it's so easy to put together, it just takes a bit of time.

First you have to cook your white rice and then on medium heat add milk, sugar and a pinch of salt.  It will look a little soupy like this:

Now, for about 15-20 minutes of simmering and stirring your soupy concoction will have become nice and creamy:

Once this happens you add a bit more milk, raisins (if you want them) and 1 egg that has been slightly beaten:

Continue to cook for 2-5 more minutes until your pudding is thick and creamy.  Then, remove the pot from heat and add a bit of butter and vanilla extract and then serve!
I should tell you to wait a few minutes for the pudding to cool a bit but I am not afraid to admit that I've burned my mouth a few times with this dessert :)
Oh, and have I mentioned before how much I love cinnamon? Well, I do and I have to have a bit sprinkled on my rice pudding every time, so yummy!


Simple Rice Pudding
3/4 C. white rice + 1 1/2 C. water (cook as usual)
1/3 C. white sugar
1 1/2 C. milk
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 - 1 C. raisins (optional)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 C. milk
1 Tbsp. butter
1/2-1 tsp. vanilla extract
Cinnamon

1. Once your rice is cooked turn up the heat to medium and add the sugar, salt and the 1 1/2 C. milk.  Cook 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until creamy.
2. Add raisins, egg and remaining milk and continue to cook 2-5 minutes until thickened and creamy.
3. Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla and mix well.  Let cool and bit then serve with, or without, and sprinkle of cinnamon.  Enjoy!!



Comments

Popular Posts