Emergency Preparedness Resources



So, I am teaching a lesson this Sunday about Emergency Preparedness.  A few months ago I had a sign-up sheet put in our Relief Society binder and asked the ladies to write down topics they were wanting to know more about so I could have a bit of direction with my lesson.  Here were the main concerns:

-72 Hour Kits
-Food storage (where to get it, storage ideas and recipes)
-Having important documents easily accessible
-First Aid & CPR

Now, I am not an expert in any of these areas and am a bit ashamed to say that I currently do not have 72 hour kits, my First Aid & CPR certification is not current and my food storage is not what it should be BUT that is exactly why I thought this lesson would be beneficial!  As you may recall, in my New Years post I mentioned that these things are part of my resolutions this year, so let's get going!  I found quite a few websites that have wonderful information and I have put together a family emergency binder that I will share with you.  If you have any additional information feel free to share!


********************

72 Hour Kits
-hiking backpacks work wonderfully!
-rotate items every 6-12 months
-we have a “gun grab bag” also, you can purchase these online or at any outdoors stores; it has space for a gun (or two) and ammo
-emergency car kits are also a great idea

This website has a ton of amazing information!

Food Storage:
*Where to put it?! – Closets, under beds, under tables with tablecloth on top, pantry, buy storage racks (or make your own).*
These websites have awesome information and some sell food storage:

Food Storage Recipes:

Emergency Binder:
-should contain copies of important documents (DL, marriage license, birth certificates, SS cards, shot records, etc.)
-photos & fingerprints for each family member
-passports and/or extra cash
-store in an easy “grab & go” spot
-update every 6-12 months



I keep this guide in the front pocket of our emergency binder.  It has great information and I'm sure just about any county would have some sort of booklet similar to this one.  Salt Lake City has community emergency preparedness events where we participate drills and receive information such as this booklet.


Each member of our family has our own folder in the binder.  Each folder contains personal information, copies of important documents, fingerprints, a photo, passwords, doctor and medication information.  I keep our binder right by our filing cabinet in our bedroom.  In case of an emergency I could easily grab our binder, throw it in a backpack and go.  I update each person's information around their birthday since we are usually getting photos done and it's easy for me to remember.

I used resources at these sites to put my emergency binder together:

CPR/First Aid:
-If you are wanting to become certified you can find local courses, or online courses, pretty easily simply by doing an internet search.
-tackle boxes make great first aid kits
-American Health Care Academy provides online training courses:
-CPR/AED Course $19.95
          -First Aid Course $19.95
          -Combine courses for $35.95
Other great resources:

My mother used a tackle box for our first aid kits and I think it's a genius idea!  As I searched the web I found that many people do the same thing.  I really like this list of items to have:




First Aid Kit (Tackle Box)

·  first-aid manual
·  sterile gauze pads of different sizes
·  adhesive tape
·  adhesive bandages in several sizes
·  elastic bandage
·  a splint
·  antiseptic wipes
·  soap (I bought a travel Purel)
·  antibiotic ointment
·  antiseptic solution (like hydrogen peroxide)
·  hydrocortisone cream (1%)
·  acetaminophen and ibuprofen
·  extra prescription medications
·  tweezers
·  sharp scissors
·  safety pins
·  disposable instant cold packs
·  calamine lotion
·  alcohol wipes or ethyl alcohol
·  thermometer
·  plastic non-latex gloves (at least 2 pairs)
· mini flashlight and extra batteries I also put a mini magnifying glass because sometime you can’t even see the splinter!)
·  mouthpiece for administering CPR (can be obtained from your local Red Cross or hospital)
·  Also print out how to do CPR and tape it to the back of the inside of your first aid kit….You Never know when you are going to need it. 

*I have added lots of other little things that I always seem to need and can never find such as Airborne and even a tide-to-go stick.

********************

Believe it or not, this in only a tiny bit of information compared to what is out there on the internet - these are simply the sites that I have found to be very useful and I refer to them when I need to.  There is a bit more information in the handout that I provided a link to earlier in this post.  I hope this helps and I hope I've inspired you to improve on what you may already have or, if you're like me and have barely begun, I hope I've inspired you to get going!  Happy New Year!!!


Comments

  1. This is one of the most informative and knowledgeable articles I've ever read. I'd like to appreciate your efforts especially the way you've explained everything along with video tutorials. I'm one of those people who are extremely cautious of any catastrophic event and would do anything to save lives. I already have bug out bags for fires, tornadoes and earthquakes and I'm thinking of maintaining a survival kit for myself now. I came across your blog today and I'm thankful you've helped me a lot in what I need to keep in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey wow this is a really useful and informative blog. I'm also one of those who are extremely concerned about emergencies and human survival. I already have an emergency preparedness kit for fires and I really want to have survival kits for earthquakes and tornadoes. I'd really like to appreciate you for the kind of information you've given and I'm definitely going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts