Hawaiian Haystacks From Scratch (Crock Pot)


Alright you guys, I had never ever heard of Hawaiian Haystacks until I lived in Utah and I'm really not sure why they are called Hawaiian Haystacks...probably because of the pineapple.  I've tried a few different recipes for this dish but I really hate using cream of whatever soups and/or evaporated milk in my recipes (how most folks typically make this)!  So I've come up with a way to make the chicken for this dish without using any of that stuff and we all really love it so I decided to share! 

Hawaiian Haystacks:
2 large chicken breasts
Salt & Pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp dried parsley
2 C chicken broth + 1/3 C flour
1 C plain Greek yogurt
(see toppings list below)

1. Spray your crock pot with non-stick spray, lay chicken breasts inside and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley.  In a separate bowl whisk together the broth, flour, and yogurt then pour over chicken.  Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours, shred your chicken with a fork just before serving.
2. Layer your haystacks with whatever you'd like!  We typically use my non-sticky garlic rice as a base but you could easily make that healthier by using brown rice, wild rice, or quinoa. 

-Serves 4-6

Suggested Toppings:
Shredded Cheddar
Diced green onions (or regular onions)
Diced tomatoes
Sliced olives
Crushed pineapple
Crispy Chow Mein noodles (healthier options include nuts or sunflower seeds)
Mandarin oranges
Peas
Corn
Avocado



Comments

Popular Posts