Leftover Ham, Potato, and Cheese Soup


Here is a great way to use up some of that leftover Christmas ham you may have lurking around - I know I'm posting this a little late but everyone has been taking turns getting sick for the last month or two so I'm running behind on just about everything.  This is incredibly easy and quick to put together and tastes phenomenal, my hubs said this should definitely be a post-Christmas tradition and even the kiddos loved it!

And, please don't judge my chopping skills too harshly, I had my cooking buddy strapped to my front and it turns out that operating a sharp blade is quite tricky when you're wearing a baby! Can you tell he knows I'm a sucker for him?


Leftover Ham, Potato, and Cheese Soup:
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion, finely diced
3 medium-large potatoes, peeled & diced
2 C cooked ham, chopped
4 C chicken broth
1 C milk + 1/3 C flour
1/2-1 tsp salt
1/2-1 tsp pepper
1/2-1 tsp garlic powder (or 2 cloves garlic finely minced)
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 C sour cream
2 C shredded cheddar

1. Melt your butter in a large pot over medium heat, add the onion and saute until tender and translucent. Add potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and continue to saute until potatoes are beginning to brown/crisp around the edges.
2. Whisk together the milk and flour in a separate small bowl, add to pot along with the broth.  Add the salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves.  Bring to a boil, stirring often, then reduce to a simmer and let simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender (stir often).
3. Remove bay leaves, turn off heat, then stir in the sour cream and shredded cheddar.  Serve!
-Serves 6



Comments

Popular Posts