Hawaiian Moco Loco!


My sweetheart and I used to stay up late and watch Man vs. Food, in one particular episode the host traveled to Hawaii and ate "Loco Moco" and let me just tell ya, it looked A-MA-ZING! I am a sucker for fried eggs, my husband loves hamburger, we all love gravy, and everyone in our home absolutely loves rice! So, I thought I would give it a try! I have been making this regularly for over a year, it is definitely a family favorite, I hope you love it too!

p.s. I have heard it called both "Moco Loco" & "Loco Moco" - and I do have to give a disclaimer, I cannot claim that this is authentic, this is simply my own version. Enjoy!

Moco Loco
1 lb. ground beef
Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder

1 C. white rice
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 C. vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced

1/4 C. flour
3-4 C. water & 3-4 beef bouillon cubes OR beef broth
Salt, black pepper, onion powder

4 large eggs

1. Heat a medium-large skillet on medium heat and form ground beef into 4 patties. Season both sides of each patty with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
2. Heat olive oil in a medium pot on medium heat, add rice, salt, and garlic. Cook until rice is beginning to brown, stirring often. *Meanwhile, begin cooking the hamburger patties.* Once the rice is browning turn up the heat to high and add the broth. Once the rice is boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until cooked - 20 minutes. 
3. Cook hamburger patties until browned on each side, about 5-10 minutes per side, then remove to a plate and set aside. Add flour to the skillet and whisk into the grease. Slowly add the water (and bouillon cubes) or broth, and whisk in thoroughly. Season the gravy with salt, black pepper, and onion powder. Bring to a simmer then return the hamburger patties to the skillet, let simmer until rice is done cooking.
4. Heat a small skillet on medium heat and spray with non-stick spray, fry eggs (be sure to season with salt & pepper) until just barely cooked - over-easy, you will love the extra "sauce" from the fried egg! Serve as pictured! 
-Serves 4!

If you are wanting to make this meal a bit healthier then use a lean ground beef, ground chicken would even work, and use brown rice instead of white rice.

Comments

Popular Posts