Chicken Fried Steak
Alright everyone, I am so excited to share this recipe! I absolutely LOVE this meal, it is incredibly easy to put together and cooks up fast, you can easily having dinner on the table in 20 minutes, you can't beat that! I grew up down south so chicken fried steak and gravy really are part of who I am, I have a great love for food in general but there is something special about some good 'old southern food. Another great thing about this meal is that it's so easy to play around with, you can add a variety of spices and seasonings to your steaks so they are just as you like them. My recipe is super simple and super quick, I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Chicken Fried Steak:
1lb. cube steaks - I always buy 1 package of 4
1 C. milk
1 C. flour
1 stick butter, 1 C. shortening, or any other oil you prefer to use to pan-fry
1. Start heating your pan on medium-high heat with whichever fat you prefer to use, (the good 'ode southern way is to use shortening but just about anything will do), then prepare your steaks.
2. In a small mixing bowl combine the milk, eggs, a dash (or two) of hot sauce, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp paprika. Whisk together well. Now, pour your flour onto a plate and toss with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1/2 tsp paprika.
3. Dredge your steaks in the flour, then dip them in the milk mixture, then coat in flour again (I do 1 steak at a time). Carefully place steaks in your hot pan. Let cook for about 3 minutes and then flip and cook for another 3 minutes - or until your steaks are a nice golden on each side.
4. Remove steaks to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside while making your gravy.
White Country Gravy:
1/4 C. flour
2 C. milk
Salt & pepper
1. If your pan has a ton of grease left in it you will need to drain most of it, you want some grease left in the pan to make the gravy - it adds a ton more flavor!
2. Add flour to the grease and whisk in until smooth. Slowly pour in the milk, while whisking, and season with salt and pepper - typically southern gravy has a decent amount of black pepper in it but be sure to taste as you go. Continue whisking until bubbling and thickening. Reduce heat to low to keep warm and serve!
As you can see, I always serve my chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes, you can't make gravy and not have mashed potatoes! This time I also opted to serve this meal with some wonderful fried okra and sweet corn...this is one dinner that I struggle to only eat 1 portion of! It's just so darn good! Enjoy!