Irish Soda Bread


My family is part Irish, on both sides I believe, and this holiday has always been one of my mom's favorites. This recipe actually came from an Irish family that my mother was very close to when she was living in New Jersey years ago, it is their family recipe and I must say that I absolutely love it! It is incredibly easy to put together and is definitely a crowd pleaser, enjoy!

Irish Soda Bread
2 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 C. shortening
1/2 C. raisins
2 tsp. caraway seeds
*3/4 C. buttermilk
1 Tbsp. sugar

-Preheat oven to 375 F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

1. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter or with forks until the mixture is crumbly.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. If your mixture is too dry add about 1-2 Tbsp more of milk.
3. Pour dough onto baking sheet (just like making a giant drop biscuit), bake 20-25 minutes (rotate pan halfway through), until bread is golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Serve!

p.s. My absolute favorite way to eat this bread is warm with butter, it's delicious!

*If you don't have buttermilk just add 1 Tbsp. white vinegar to the milk and let sit 5 minutes before using.








Comments

Popular Posts