Crock Pot Apple Crisp


Oh my goodness you guys, this dessert is A-MA-ZING! I whipped this yummy goodness Sunday morning before church and it was absolutely perfect by the time we got home and ate lunch a few hours later, and it made the whole house smell delightful! Now, I know some of you will say this is something you should only make/serve in the fall but I must disagree! You can never go wrong with a fruit crisp served with creamy vanilla ice cream!

Crock Pot Apple Crisp
6 large apples (see * below for prep) - I used Golden Delicious and would also recommend Granny Smith and/or Gala apples, or some of each!
1/3 C. light brown sugar
1/2-1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. cornstarch

Crumble Topping:
1 C. flour
1 C. old fashioned oats
1/2 C. light brown sugar
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2-1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 stick cold butter, sliced into small pieces

1. Prepare your crock pot by either spraying with non-stick spray or lining with a disposable bag (you can find these by the ziploc bags at the grocer store).  
2. Toss your apples into your crock pot, add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch and toss well.
3. In a separate bowl mix together the crumble topping and use a fork, pastry cutter, or your fingers to mix the butter until you have a crumbly texture.  Pour over apples.
4. Cover crock pot with paper towels, place lid on top, and cook on low heat for 3-4 (thinly sliced)  or 5-6 hours (thicker slices/cubed).  Enjoy with some ice cream!

-Serves 4-6.

p.s. I use a varying amount of cinnamon, I don't like to overpower the other flavors so I tend to go a little lighter...I also rarely measure so it's my best guess! I used about 1/2 tsp in the apples and in the crumble topping.


I used my apple corer/peeler/slicer but I think next time I will simply slice and cube my apples so they hold up a bit better.


Cover it completely with crumble topping!


I saw this trick while searching the internet and it really helped a lot, the paper towels help absorb some of the moisture so your apple crisp won't be soggy!


My goodness, my mouth is watering all over again!


*If you're using an apple corer/slicer/peeler thing-a-ma-bob this will be your result, it was lovely and tasty but if I were to do this method again I would be sure to cook the dessert for less time, probably 3-4 hours on low heat rather than 5-6 hours.  If you're going to cook it longer like I did you will want to slice and cube your apples so they hold up a bit better.


Scoop some vanilla ice cream, top it off, then enjoy the amazingness!

Comments

Popular Posts